Institute for Public Policy and Governance
The Institute for Public Policy and Governance (IPPG) at the University of Technology Sydney is a leading group of researchers and practitioners in the areas of public administration and policy, social research, stakeholder engagement, and leadership. We undertake applied social and behavioural and academic research, policy advisory, graduate education and professional development training. The IPPG team works closely and maintains extensive professional networks within the university and with governments; industry; not-for-profit and community based organisations across Australia and internationally.
The UTS Centre for Local Government (CLG) is part of the IPPG.
We undertake applied social and behavioural and academic research, policy advisory, graduate education and professional development training.
- Trans-disciplinary and comparative research about public policy and governance
- a PhD program to support an on-going stream of contemporary research on key sectoral issues
- Postgraduate education including a Master of Applied Policy, Master of Local Government, a Graduate Diploma in Local Government Management, a Graduate Certificate in Local Government Leadership and a Graduate Certificate in Development Assessment.
- Professional development and accreditation programs for government professionals, including executive training programs
- Specialist consulting and advisory services for councils, government agencies and associated industry and professional bodies
- International programs and development projects.
Our areas of expertise
- Public Policy – a diverse range of policy topics including social policy, housing policy and local and regional development policy
- Community Development and Social Impact – participatory democracy, community mobilisation, grassroots governance, co-design of policies and co-production of services, urban renewal and urban regeneration
- Intergovernmental Relations, Governance and Partnerships – multi-level governance; metropolitan reforms and metropolitan governance; rescaling the state; public-private partnerships; institutional restructuring; strategic collaboration, cross-border alliances and growth coalitions
- Local Government Studies – the nature, role and effectiveness of local government; national and international comparative local government practice, local government in developing countries; local government and economic development
- Urban Studies, Housing Studies and Urban Planning – new urban trends and challenges arising from contemporary patterns of urbanisation, including the implications for urban theory, urban policy, urban politics, urban marginality and urban political economy
- Organisational Ethics and the Public Sector – governance and oversight; ethical theorising; and the public sector and codes of conduct.
Institute for Public Policy and Governance (IPPG)
Centre for Local Government (CLG)
University of Technology Sydney
PO Box 123 Broadway NSW 2007 Australia
Tel: +61 2 9514 7884
Fax: +61 2 9514 2274