Opportunity for an experienced senior advisor with excellent knowledge of public policy and legislative processes. Be involved in helping to deliver on a key transformational programme, central to government's housing and urban development plans.
Why you should consider this opportunity
We want to hear from policy professionals who:
- want to have an opportunity to help fundamentally reshape how housing in New Zealand is delivered
- are looking for an opportunity to get involved in a high-profile programme with regular engagement with Ministers
- want to advise the government on how it can build 100,000 affordable houses in the next ten years
- want to be involved in supporting and shaping government-led urban development initiatives
- come from a background that allows them to span the breadth of policy from the strategic through to the operational.
- You are a highly capable senior Policy Advisor looking to advance your career by working on complex, challenging and high priority issues. You will be looking to work within a high performing policy area with a supportive culture.
- You will enjoy analysing challenging problems and finding pragmatic solutions that make a difference in people's lives. You work well with others, deliver, and can present to senior people including Ministers.
You'll be able to demonstrate:
- Experience leading complex central government policy projects
- Proven ability to deliver high quality advice to Ministers and communicate with influence
- Excellent analytical skills and confidence working with data
- Experience (and a high degree of comfort) dealing with ambiguity
- Ability to lead and mentor other analysts
- A relevant tertiary qualification, in a discipline relevant to policy, social science, economics, or property development.
The Housing and Urban Branch is a vibrant environment where the team really cares about what we're trying to achieve. The HUB sits within MBIE, and aims to improve housing outcomes, shape rental markets, enable urban development and lift the contribution from our urban areas to New Zealand's long term success.
Our policy interests range from:
- Improving the experience for renters
- Improving housing outcomes for all New Zealanders, including access, choice, affordability and liveability
- Enabling large scale urban development and urban growth
- Lifting the overall performance of New Zealand's urban areas.
To achieve this we want to attract and keep staff who are engaged and motivated, and feel supported and developed to deliver to their maximum potential.
About the work
We have a number of high priority policy areas to deliver advice on within the KiwiBuild space. These include:
- Helping to shape the policy settings to support the successful establishment and delivery of the KiwiBuild Programme
- Advising on the end-to-end KiwiBuild processes for purchasers and developers
- Developing the frameworks necessary to underpin good quality decision making in respect of KiwiBuild investment
- Identifying opportunities for housing and urban projects across the NZ, including where developments are most likely to succeed.
If this sounds like you, then we would like to hear from you.
Click on the APPLY link in order to be directed to our on-line careers website application form (careers.mbie.govt.nz). Here you will also be able to review the job description.
For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email Peter van de Merwe at Peter.vandeMerwe@mbie.govt.nz quoting reference MBIE/1334336 with further questions.
Applications close at 5 pm Tuesday 29th May 2018.