The Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) initiative aims to identify and promote excellence across the full spectrum of research activity, including both discovery and applied research, within Australian higher education institutions. ERA reflects the Government‘s commitment to a transparent, streamlined approach to research evaluation. ERA 2012 will evaluate the quality of the research undertaken in eligible higher education providers
The objectives of ERA are to:
1. establish an evaluation framework that gives government, industry, business and the wider community assurance of the excellence of research conducted in Australian higher education institutions;
2. provide a national stocktake of discipline level areas of research strength and areas where there is opportunity for development in Australian higher education institutions;
3. identify excellence across the full spectrum of research performance;
4. identify emerging research areas and opportunities for further development; and
5. allow for comparisons of research in Australia, nationally and internationally, for all discipline areas.
For Australian Policy Online publishers and readers the following change should improve the impact and evaluation of policy related research reports: "For disciplines in which non-traditional research output types may be submitted, additional output types may now be submitted under the category of Original Creative Works, provided they meet the relevant eligibility criteria, including meeting the definition of research. Such works may include scholarly editions, scholarly translations and public policy reports."