The National Aged Care Alliance has developed this policy blueprint for delivering positive aged care reform.
It follows on from the Alliance’s Vision Leading the Way – Our Vision for Support and Care of Older Australians. The Vision was developed in 2009 and paints a broad picture of what needs to happen, across a number of policy areas, for people to be supported to age well.
Australia can have a world class aged care system. However, if reform does not start in 2012 the stresses and strains on the current system will amplify and result in it being increasingly compromised and falling well short of community expectations. The following factors mean aged care reform action is needed urgently:
• a growing number of older people;
• fewer informal or family carers available; and
• financial and structural challenges negatively impacting on service provision.
The Alliance’s Blueprint places the older person first and proposes how reform can create:
• more efficient and effective service responses for individuals; and
• improved affordability for Government and the Australian community as a whole.
Government is currently considering the reforms proposed by the Productivity Commission’s report Caring for Older Australians. This Blueprint outlines the action the Alliance expects the Government to implement and Parliament to support.