As part of a broader examination of Australia's National Innovation System, this report examines Australia's Cooperative Research Centres program, making a series of recommendations for change in relation to:
• funding and frequency of selection rounds;
• objectives of the program;
• broadening participation;
• co-funding arrangements;
• program administration;
• evaluation arrangements; and
• the positioning and integration of CRCs within the National Innovation System.
The review also recommends the creation of a new program to support the development of closer relationships in those industries and sectors where little collaboration currently occurs.