This plan identifies the reforms and priority infrastructure that Australia needs to ensure our infrastructure networks can take advantage of the opportunities ahead.
The actions include:
- Establishing a single national infrastructure fund;
- Moving from grant funding of infrastructure to a system that encourages private investment;
- Selling or long-term leasing of government infrastructure assets and re-investing the proceeds in new infrastructure;
- Wider application of user pays funding arrangements, especially but not only in the freight sector, but on the proviso that users get a say in scoping new projects; and
- Improvements to project governance and procurement to reduce the cost of developing new infrastructure.