This research describes a generic monitoring design that could be widely applied to detect temporal changes in soil organic carbon stocks (SOC) across a carbon estimation area (CEA) with no prior knowledge of the spatial or temporal variance of SOC within the CEA.
The report includes information on:
- Bases for designing SOC stock sampling for detecting change
- Monitoring SOC change to verify the effects of land use or management practices
- Statistical rationale for monitoring SOC change
- Quality measure and constraints for monitoring SOC change
- Design-based optimisation of sample sizes
- Model-based optimisation of sample sizes
- Hypothesis testing
- Statistical model for monitoring SOC change
- Using available data and its variability to guide initial sampling design
- Uncertainty in outcomes of monitoring designs
- Summary and conclusions.