Summary: This submission urges the state government to keep investing in programs that have a proven track record of improving Victorian lives.
This year’s submission focuses on five key areas:
- Reducing family violence and its effects
- Improving measures to tackle crime and recidivism
- Alleviating spiraling cost-of-living increases (particularly water bills)
- Increasing affordable housing accessibility through private rental brokerage programs
- Ensuring a sustainable community sector.
The submission also highlights areas in which effective policies have been established but not universally implemented.
The Salvation Army is also calling upon the Victorian Government to:
- Extend the support for children who are impacted by family violence beyond those who are accommodated in refuges to include family violence outreach
- Establish more effective diversion, rehabilitation and post-release support for young criminal offenders to reduce recidivism
- Increase utility concessions, specifically targeting water bills, to reduce the cost of living
- Fund superannuation levy increases to build sector sustainability