Report

Underemployed workers, Australia, Sep 2007

28 Feb 2008
Description

These underemployed workers account for 4.7% of the total labour force and when combined with the 4.2% of the unemployed, represented a labour force underutilisation rate for September 2007 of 8.9%.Just over half a million Australian workers would prefer to work more hours, and are available, according to this ABS survey. These underemployed workers account for 4.7% of the total labour force and when combined with the 4.2% of the unemployed, represented a labour force underutilisation rate for September 2007 of 8.9%. he majority (91%) of the 518,300 underemployed people work part time.

This publication presents information about underemployed workers. The number of underemployed workers is an important component of underutilised labour resources in the economy, along with the number of unemployed and some people with marginal attachment to the labour force. Underemployed workers are part-time workers who want, and are available for, more hours of work than they currently have and full-time workers who worked part-time hours during the reference week for economic reasons. A range of information is presented on underemployed workers including the number of hours usually worked, number of preferred hours, steps taken to find work with more hours, and difficulties finding work with more hours. The statistics in this publication were compiled from the Underemployed Workers Survey, conducted throughout Australia in September 2007 as a supplement to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) monthly Labour Force Survey (LFS).

 

Publication Details
Published year only: 
2008
0
Share
Share
Subject Areas
Subjects
Geographic Coverage
Advertisement