This Statement of Intent outlines the strategic direction for New Zealand's Ministry of Health, work that will be undertaken to deliver key priorities and how success will be measured.
The Ministry of Health’s Statement of Intent 2014 to 2018 identifies outcomes for the health system and the Ministry:
- New Zealanders live longer, healthier and more independent lives
- the health system is cost-effective and supports a productive economy.
The Ministry itself has three high-level outcomes that support the achievement of the above health system outcomes:
- New Zealanders are healthier and more independent
- high-quality health and disability services are delivered in a timely and accessible manner
- the future sustainability of the health and disability system is assured. The Ministry has a focus on ensuring health services are delivered better, sooner and more conveniently.
The Statement of Intent outlines the strategic direction for the Ministry, work that will be undertaken to deliver key priorities and how success will be measured. Success against the six national health targets is just one example of how the health system continues to improve outcomes for New Zealanders.
The improved wellbeing and health of New Zealanders will be achieved by the delivery of services that are accessible, safe, individual- and family-centred, clinically effective and cost-effective. The Ministry has a multi-faceted strategy, as is appropriate for a complex sector. The Ministry will:
1. contribute to the Government’s strategic priorities by:
- delivering Better Public Services within tight financial constraints
- responsibly managing the Government’s finances
- supporting Christchurch
- building a more competitive and productive economy
2. deliver on the Government’s other priority actions through:
- Supporting Vulnerable Children
- Whānau Ora
- the Prime Minister’s Youth Mental Health project
- health targets
- Tackling Methamphetamine: An Action Plan
- social sector trials
- the Australia New Zealand Therapeutic Products Agency (ANZTPA)
- Smokefree 2025
3. implement the Minister’s objectives for the sector, which are to:
- maintain wellness for longer by improving prevention
- improve the quality and safety of health services
- make services more accessible, including more care closer to home
- implement Rising to the Challenge
- support the health of older people
- make the best use of information technology (IT) and ensure the security of patients’ records
- strengthen the health and disability workforce
- support regional and national collaboration.