This State of the Environment (SOE) Report covers a broad range of environmental issues and sets a baseline against which future progress can be measured. Indicators of environmental health are presented in the context of the drivers of change and direct pressures on the environment. The consequences of the current condition of the environment are considered. Current management responses to the issues are described and the Commissioner offers recommendations for improving Victoria's environment.
The report is published in five main parts:
* Part 1 - Introduction, provides an overview of the content, introduces some key concepts, and describes roles and responsibilities for managing Victoria's environment.
* Part 2 - Driving Forces, considers some of the main drivers that influence environmental change.
* Part 3 - Production, Consumption and Waste investigates our consumption patterns and identifies how our use of resources acts as a direct pressure on the environment by examining our use and management of energy, water and materials.
* Part 4 - the State of the Environment, presents the current state of the environment in four chapters, Atmosphere, Land and Biodiversity, Inland Waters, and Coasts, Estuaries and the Sea.
* Part 5 - Living Well Within Our Environment, considers the complex interactions between issues covered throughout the report and presents some recommendations for future action by government and the community.