Of New Zealand's 16 regions, only Auckland and Canterbury's population growth rate was above the national average, according to this report.
In the June 2014 year the estimates indicate:
- 15 of New Zealand's 16 regions experienced population growth.
- Auckland region had the largest percentage growth (2.3 percent), followed by Canterbury (2.0 percent).
- Auckland region accounted for 50 percent of New Zealand's total population growth; Canterbury's growth accounted for 17 percent.
- 59 of the 67 territorial authority areas had population growth.
- The three fastest-growing territorial authority areas were in the South Island.