edna commissioned market research with first year teachers about how they currently use ICT in their teaching, and how their pre-service training prepared them for using information technologies.
The focus group participants:
* were 'digital natives' with much greater reliance on ICT than their more experienced colleagues;
* use the web much more in planning than in teaching – Google and Wikipedia predominate;
* described their pre-service ICT training as patchy and inconsistent;
* experienced similar barriers to previous teachers & ICT market research – limited school infrastructure, site blocking;
* advised owners of websites to 'keep it simple'.