In the 24 months to March 2016, two of the 17 major offences showed a significant upward trend across NSW, seven were trending downward and the remaining eight offences were stable. The offences trending upward were steal from retail store (up 7.9%) and indecent assault, act of indecency and other sexual offences (up 8.4%).
The offences trending down were:
- robbery without a weapon (down 23.3%);
- robbery with a firearm (down 38.7%);
- robbery with a weapon not a firearm (down 21.6%);
- break and enter dwelling (down 7.8%);
- break and enter non-dwelling (down 7.1%);
- steal from motor vehicle (down 5.1%).
The number of murders also declined from 89 in the 12 months to March 2015 to 64 in the 12 months to March 2016.