The Better Mine Rehabilitation for Queensland discussion paper presents a proposed mine rehabilitation policy stating the Government’s commitment to ensuring mined land is rehabilitated progressively over the life of the mine, resulting in land that is able to support another use – such as grazing, agriculture, ecosystem services or infrastructure.
The proposed rehabilitation policy is a key component of an integrated mined land management framework, which also includes six delivery elements:
- introducing life-of-mine plans for site-specific mines
- regular monitoring, assessment and reporting
- enforceable requirements for progressive rehabilitation
- clear completion and signoff requirements
- incentives for good performance
- good quality data for policy and regulatory implementation.
The proposed policy gives greater clarity to the mining sector about expectations for achieving rehabilitation throughout the life of a mine and transparency for the community. The integrated mined land framework establishes a path to improve rehabilitation outcomes in Queensland.
Submissions close Thursday, 15 June 2017.