The Australian Government invites all interested parties to comment on a consultation draft of a revised English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) Standards.
The ELICOS Standards are guidelines for regulatory authorities to make decisions for providers to be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) under the Education Services for Overseas Students legislative framework.
Proposed changes include changing the definition of courses to bring all intensive English language courses registered on CRICOS within the scope of the ELICOS Standards.
Key areas for revision include:
- clarifying that the definition of ELICOS Standards applies to all courses provided to overseas students that are solely or predominantly of English language instruction including vocational education and training (VET) courses.
- clarifying that the scheduled course contact hours for ELICOS courses is 20 hours of face-to-face tuition per week.
- strengthening requirements in relation to student assessment.
- providing greater detail regarding how providers need to structure courses for under 18 students.
- clarifying the strategy for assessing achievement of learner outcomes, samples of certification of completion and partial completion, and course syllabus.
The Government looks forward to receiving submissions from all interested parties on the proposed changes. All submissions will be considered in finalising the ELICOS Standards.
The closing date for submissions is Friday 11 August 2017