Advisory report: Native Title Amendment Bill 2012
On 29 November 2012 the Selection Committee asked the Committee to inquire into and report on the Bill.
The Bill proposes to:
- enable certain parties to agree to disregard historical extinguishment of native title in certain areas set aside and public works in areas set aside
- clarify the conduct expected of parties in future act negotiations
- extend to eight months the time before a party may seek a determination from an arbitral body
- streamline processes and broaden the scope for voluntary Indigenous Land Use Agreements (ILUAs), and
- make a technical amendment.
The House of Representatives Standing Committee on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs examined the Bill and recommended that it be passed. This report presents the reasoning behind this decision.