Investigation into the National Office of the Health Services Union
Summary (by Fair Work Australia)
- The General Manager of Fair Work Australia has completed her consideration of the HSU National Office investigation report.
- The report has been sent to the Senate Committee on Education Employment and Workplace Relations.
- The report found 181 contraventions of the HSU Rules, Schedule 1 to the Workplace Relations Act 1996 and/or the Fair Work (Registered Organisations) Act 2009 (RO Act).
- Notices of contravention have been issued to individuals and the HSU National Office. The union has also been sent a rectification notice.
- The General Manager is instructing solicitors to initiate proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia in respect of the report’s findings.
- An independent review into the conduct of Fair Work Australia’s investigation into the HSU’s National Office and Victoria No. 1 Branch will be completed before the end of July 2012.
Background (by Fair Work Australia)
The investigation into the finances and financial management of the National Office of the Health Services Union was conducted by a senior manager of Fair Work Australia, known as the Delegate. It commenced on 27 March 2010 and concluded on 28 March 2012 when the Delegate provided the investigation report to the General Manager. An earlier inquiry, which preceded the investigation, commenced on 6 April 2009.
Documents made available by the Senate Standing Committees on Education, Employment and Workplace Relations:
- Correspondence to Fair Work Australia - (PDF 439KB)
- Response from Fair Work Australia - (PDF 87KB)
- Correspondence from Holding Redlich - (PDF 129KB)
- Correspondence to Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions - (PDF 571KB)
- Response from the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions - (PDF 140KB)
- Fair Work Australia Report into the National Branch of the Health Services Union received by the Committee 7 May 2012 - (PDF 7396KB)