Report of the protecting Victoria's vulnerable children inquiry
This inquiry investigated systemic problems in Victoria's child protection system and, in this report, has now made recommendations to strengthen and improve the protection and support of vulnerable young Victorians.
The Panel delivered the Report to the Minister for Community Services on 27January 2012. The Report was tabled by the Minister for Community Services in Parliament on 28 February 2012.
The Report is now available to the public.
It is split into three Volumes.
- Volume 1 includes the Executive summary and Lists of recommendations, findings and matters for attention as well as an Implementation plan.
- Volume 2 comprises eight parts and contains 23 chapters. For ease of downloading, this Volume has been divided into sections.
- Volume 3 is composed mostly of the appendices. See below for more information on the contents of the Report.
The entire Volume 1 can be downloaded here (PDF, 2.55MB).
- Terms of Reference
- Executive summary
- List of recommendations
- List of findings and matters for attention
- Implementation plan
Click on the links below to download the individual parts or chapters of the Report.
Part 1 – The impact of abuse and neglect (PDF, 1.28MB)
- Chapter 1: The Inquiry’s task (PDF, 336KB)
- Chapter 2: Vulnerability and the impact of abuse and neglect (PDF, 881KB)
Part 2 – Victoria’s current system and performance (PDF, 1.54MB)
- Chapter 3: Victoria’s current system (PDF, 1.04MB)
- Chapter 4: The performance of the system protecting children and young people (PDF, 545KB)
- Chapter 5: Major issues raised in submissions, Public Sittings and consultations (PDF, 198KB)
Part 3 – The policy framework (PDF, 657KB)
- Chapter 6: A policy framework for a system to protect vulnerable children and young people (PDF, 657KB)
Part 4 – Major protective system elements (PDF, 5.81MB)
- Chapter 7: Preventing child abuse and neglect (PDF, 273KB)
- Chapter 8: Early intervention (PDF, 1.02MB)
- Chapter 9: Meeting the needs of children and young people in the statutory system (PDF, 3.0MB)
- Chapter 10: Meeting the needs of children and young people in out-of-home care (PDF, 0.98MB)
- Chapter 11: The experiences of children and young people when leaving out-of-home care (PDF, 221KB)
- Chapter 12: Meeting the needs of Aboriginal children and young people (PDF, 879KB)
- Chapter 13: Meeting the needs of children and young people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities (PDF, 221KB)
Part 5: The law and the courts (PDF, 1.65MB)
- Chapter 14: Strengthening the law protecting children and young people (PDF, 360KB)
- Chapter 15: Realigning court processes to meet the needs of children and young people (1.41MB)
Part 6: System supporting capacities (PDF, 1.44MB)
- Chapter 16: A workforce that delivers quality (PDF, 752KB)
- Chapter 17: Community sector capacity (PDF, 322KB)
- Chapter 18: Clinical court services (PDF, 369KB)
- Chapter 19: Funding arrangements (PDF, 402KB)
Part 7: System governance (PDF, 789KB)
- Chapter 20: The role of government agencies (PDF, 170KB)
- Chapter 21: Regulation and oversight (PDF, 742KB)
Part 8: Implementation and conclusion (PDF, 767KB)
The entire Volume 3 can be downloaded here (PDF, 1.28MB).