There are several characteristics of this regional economic development plan:
- To develop it, a whole-of-government approach was adopted, drawing on economic development programs, initiatives and actions being undertaken in Tasmania and, in particular, in the northern region, by the three levels of government.
- The Plan acknowledges that community development is an important part of contemporary economic development.
- The Plan's development has involved a high level of collaboration and consultation - across government, with communities across the region, and with industry at peak body and individual enterprise levels.
- It is underpinned by the notion of partnership, with many of the actions in the Plan being undertaken in collaboration with other stakeholders.
- It has a high level of accountability and transparency. The Plan will be a dynamic document and will be reviewed and updated every two years.