Evaluation
Resources
Attachment Size
apo-nid203816.pdf 2.2 MB
Description

In Victoria, the majority of gambling harm (85 per cent) is the result of low-risk and moderate-risk gambling, with the remaining 15 per cent experienced from high-risk gambling. Furthermore, demographic and socioeconomic factors, such as younger age, male gender and low socioeconomic status are linked to greater risk of gambling harm.

The Foundation recognises that gambling harm is a public health issue that needs a whole-of-community response. With the overall aim of reducing and preventing gambling harm, in 2014 we established the Local Prevention Program, a grants scheme providing funding to organisations across the state to deliver prevention activities to at-risk populations in their local areas.

The program has funded a range of community-based, not-for-profit, local government and public health organisations to pilot new ideas and build evidence for effective practice in preventing gambling harm.

  • Across urban and regional Victoria, the funded projects have sought to:
  • build social connectedness and community resilience
  • support community members to make educated and informed decisions about gambling
  • encourage people to seek support if they need it
  • test new ideas and build evidence around the prevention of gambling harm.

Since the program’s inception, the Foundation has worked with First Person Consulting to evaluate its effectiveness. In March 2018, First Person Consulting completed a final evaluation report, which examined key learnings from the three years of the program (2014–17). The evaluation focused primarily on the results and impacts of 17 funded projects delivered as part of phase 2 of the program, which ran from December 2015 to June 2017. During this period, twelve projects were delivered in 18 months and five were delivered in 12 months.

The projects were diverse and directed at a range of settings and populations, including culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) groups, Victorian Aboriginal communities, young men and workplaces (see page 9 for a project listing)

This document provides a summary of the Local Prevention Program evaluation findings.

Publication Details
License type:
CC BY-NC-ND