This publication presents a summary of statistics relating to young people aged 15 to 19 years who participated in education and training with an Australian provider in 2017. It brings together data from multiple sources.
A snapshot as at August 2017 shows there were 1.5 million Australians aged 15 to 19 years, of which an estimated 82.8% participated in education and training. An estimated:
- 57.1% were at school
- 16.1% were enrolled in higher education
- 4.4% were undertaking an apprenticeship or traineeship, which was not part of a VET in Schools program
- 5.2% were enrolled in other VET programs (not a VET in Schools program or an apprenticeship or traineeship).
During the 2017 calendar year, among all students aged 15 to 19 years who participated in education and training with an Australian provider, there were an estimated:
- 847 000 school students
- 237 700 VET in Schools students
- 353 100 higher education students
- 76 500 apprentice and trainee commencements
- 705 100 VET students
- 312 000 government-funded VET students.