Founded in early 2015 and based in Sydney, Hireup is a trusted online platform and community for people with disability and their families to find, hire and manage support workers that fit their needs and share their interests. Whether it’s support with getting to work, catching a local footy game or taking the scenic route, Hireup gives people the tools needed to live the most flexible, seamless and supported life possible. With over 30,000 registered users in communities all across Australia, Hireup is a national network of local supports. As a purpose-led organisation, we promote a culture defined by its humanity, curiosity and creativity, and allow this to infuse our services, product and people.
The Government Affairs and Public Policy team works closely with politicians, department officials, regulators and government influencers to educate them about Hireup, highlight our significant social and economic impact and showcase our incredible work. Our mission is to support policy makers understand the policy opportunities that affect our thriving community and advocate for change that goes beyond the day to day – expanding our social impact and working towards a society that is truly accessible for all.
The Public Policy Adviser will join our growing team and immediately enhance Hireup’s advocacy on a broad range of public policy issues that are driven by what is best for our community. The Public Policy Adviser will report to the Head of Government Affairs and Public Policy and will support the implementation of our strategy. Being genuine and holding high ethics is crucial to being successful in our work, as well as driving political change through passion and continuously growing and adapting.
To do this role effectively, you must be able to build trust quickly and have a proven ability to work with all levels of government to help them understand the contribution our community makes and engage them in a process of creating fair regulatory frameworks that embrace the Hireup model. This involves research and analysis of government policies, legislation and regulations as the public policy landscape evolves and the development of factually-relevant, persuasive positions to bolster our advocacy.
The big picture
- Join Australia’s fastest growing, for-purpose tech scale-up (we recently topped Deloitte’s Tech Fast 50 List)
- Be part of Hireup’s policy entrepreneurial environment, where we are influencing government by creating real change for people with disability
- Form effective working relationships with all sides of government and drive effective advocacy for our community
Priorities – the work
- Support the building and nurturing of public policy ecosystems that advance our advocacy initiatives, including with governments, regulators, third parties and allied groups
- Monitor government legislation and regulatory matters and support the provision of advice to the organisation with respect to policy challenges
- Work cross-functionally to build government engagement strategies and campaigns that promote and enhance the overall reputation of Hireup
- Organise engagements with government officials and prepare briefing materials as required
- Coordinate the development of Hireup’s government policy positions in collaboration with internal stakeholders
- Work with our users to develop papers that drive understanding of Hireup’s contribution to the community and local economy
- Represent Hireup in meetings and events with government and elected officials
Skills – the person
- Relevant tertiary qualifications (public policy/administration, political studies, communications)
- At least 4 years’ experience working in politics, government departments, campaigns or advocacy groups. Knowledge of disability and technology sectors would be a significant advantage
- First-rate personal, analytical and organisational skills
- Ability to quickly grasp complex policy matters, get to the core of the issue quickly and use spoken and written rhetoric to persuade and inform
- A true advocate with highly developed political acumen and excellent interpersonal skills
- Independent self-starter with a sense of humour and the ability to thrive in a fast moving, agile environment
- Strong connection to building an understanding of the Australian disability sector and community
- Approach work with high-energy, drive and internal motivation
- Exhibit adaptability, resilience, transparency, trustworthiness, passion, and innate curiosity
People with lived experience of disability strongly encouraged to apply.
The position is full-time and the salary will be dependent on experience. For more information about the role and how it fits within Hireup, contact our Head of Government Affairs and Public Policy, Tamara Searant via firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0437 840 888.
Applications can be made through LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1178951325.