Become a future leader
ANZSOG's Executive Master of Public Administration (EMPA) degree produces graduates who are confident, critical thinkers with the skills required to manage complex challenges and deliver value to the communities they serve. Build the leadership capabilities you need to contribute at the highest levels in the contemporary public service. Applications for the Executive Master of Public Administration (EMPA) are now open. Contact the Program Coordinator by submitting an expression of interest to start the application process.
Who is it for?
The EMPA degree is designed to meet the needs of future public sector leaders operating at the state, territory or national level in the Australian or New Zealand public service. The degree best serves those already exhibiting high potential as leaders. Participants should already have shown their ability to perform consistently at above-average levels, and to have effective management capability. Those who exhibit a collaborative mindset and who hold a strong commitment to a career in or around the public sector thrive in this degree.
Why should I choose the EMPA?
ANZSOG’s EMPA is an exclusive qualification designed specifically future public sector leaders. EMPA alumni are now among some of the most talented and influential people now working in the public sector in Australia and New Zealand. EMPA participants are surrounded by ambitious like-minded public servants from a range of jurisdictions, who have a strong desire to build their leadership capabilities. You will explore current public management, public policy, public finance, economics, public law, and leadership with contributions from senior practitioners currently holding high-level roles in and around the public service. You will be encouraged to work with your peers on topical team challenges and obtain new knowledge and skills that will help you build your career as a public sector leader. You will also be able to apply much of what you learn immediately in your current professional context. The EMPA will shape you to be the leader you want to be – confident, proud of who you are, and adept at bringing out the best in those around you.
Among other things, on completing this degree you will:
- appreciate the trends shaping the public sector and what they mean for contemporary leaders
- understand the theory and practice of strategic thinking and value creation in the public sector
- appreciate the importance of ethics, values and the role of technology in relation to value creation
- appreciate what actions you can take to promote excellence in organisational processes and attention to detail in the delivery of client services
- apply an economic toolkit to public service delivery and pricing decisions
- analyse problems and seek solutions in a setting governed by public law and other rules of public administration
- understand the role of evidence and its usefulness for guiding complex decision making
- bring a future-oriented, investment perspective to all policy and program design work
- recognise the major concepts that underpin contemporary public sector budget and financial management processes
- undertake primary research in accordance with ethical principles
- build your strategic capability, particularly in diagnosing, instigating or adapting to change in the public sector
THE MASTERS AT A GLANCE
- A two-year postgraduate qualification developed and delivered by ANZSOG exclusively for high-performing public sector managers.
- Intensive residential blocks with elective modules, as well as a unit delivered in partnership with the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy in Singapore.
- A multidisciplinary curriculum integrating theory and practical application tailored to meet the needs of today’s senior leaders.
- Access to practitioner and peer networks for lifelong learning and support.
- Earn a Master’s qualification from one of ANZSOG’s highly esteemed university partners.