The Australian Government is committed to the delivery of a world-leading national digital health capability that will advance the efficiency, quality, and delivery of health care to improve the health outcomes of all Australians.
The Australian Digital Health Agency (the Agency) has responsibility for the strategic management and governance of the National Digital Health Strategy and the design, delivery, and operations of the national digital healthcare system including the My Health Record system.
The Agency provides the leadership, coordination, and delivery of a collaborative and innovative approach to utilising technology to support and enhance a clinically safe and connected national health system. This will give individuals more control of their health and their health information, and support healthcare professionals to provide informed health care through access to current clinical and treatment information.
In 2019-20, the Agency will prioritise the implementation of the second year of the National Digital Health Strategy – Safe, seamless and secure: evolving health and care to meet the needs of modern Australia – approved by Australia’s Health Ministers on 4 August 2017. The Strategy articulates the need for a coordinated approach to the delivery of digital health within Australia, and identifies seven strategic priority outcomes:
- Health information that is available whenever and wherever it is needed.
- Health information that can be exchanged securely.
- High-quality data with a commonly understood meaning that can be used with confidence.
- Better availability and access to prescriptions and medicines information.
- Digitally-enabled models of care that improve accessibility, quality, safety, and efficiency.
- A workforce confidently using digital health technologies to deliver health and care.
- A thriving digital health industry delivering world-class innovation.
To deliver on this important work, the Australian Government is a party to an Intergovernmental Agreement with the states and territories for the continued support of the Agency and to work together to build a world-class national digital health capability. The Agency is a corporate Commonwealth entity under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013.