Every year, Anglicare Australia tests if it is possible for people on low incomes to rent a home in the private market. We do this by taking a snapshot of the thousands of properties listed for rent on realestate.com.au. We test whether each property is affordable and suitable for people low incomes.
This year we surveyed over 69,000 rental listings across Australia and found that there is a chronic shortage of affordable rentals across Australia:
- 317 rentals were affordable for a single person on the Disability Support Pension
- 75 rentals were affordable for a single parent with one child on Newstart
- 1 rentals were affordable for a single person on Newstart
- No rentals were affordable for a single person in a property or share house on Youth Allowance
- There were no affordable rentals for a single person on Newstart or Youth Allowance in Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Adelaide, Darwin or Perth.