World Vision is a global community of millions, working together for one purpose: to change the lives of vulnerable children. Our supporters, partners and staff join forces with communities on the ground to help children achieve good health, access education for life, experience the love of God and their neighbours and are cared for, protected and participating. Together we share proven, world-class development methods to bring food, water, education and economic change.
Our organisational culture reflects a "Partnership" of World Vision offices in nearly 100 countries and almost 37,000 staff working towards one vision: Our vision for every child, life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every heart, the will to make it so. World Vision has profound global impact reaching one person every 10 secs with clean water, and every 60 secs a family gets access to tools and support they need to get out of poverty.
In Australia, World Vision is an iconic brand and market leader in a sector that is renewing itself for the 21st century. Brand metrics are improving, staff engagement growing, donor satisfaction and delight is improving, and public advocacy has been significant and powerful in bringing change. The organisation is also undergoing significant digital renewal exploring and drawing upon a range of digital tools to refresh donor direct experiences of the powerful transformation work of World Vision.
The Opportunity to be a Changemaker…
The primary purpose of the Senior Evidence & Learning Advisor – Economic Development role is to lead the development of the evidence building strategy and plan for World Vision Australia’s (WVA) work in economic development across WVA’s priority country programs and models. The role will utilise this evidence to support program improvement and to position WVA for influence and funding in the space of economic and private sector development.
This role will also have a major focus on guiding and implementing WVA’s strategy to strengthen evidence of impact at a meta level across the broader suite of WVA’s Technical Practice Areas (TPAs), including:
- Inclusive Market Systems Development (including Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture),
- Financial Inclusion,
- Forest Management and Landscape Restoration (including Farmer Managed Natural Regeneration).
- and embedded themes:
- Women’s Economic Empowerment,
- Disability Inclusion,
- Disaster Risk Reduction.
With a view to conducting meta-analyses of impact in the TPAs and embedded themes, this includes providing high quality design and evaluation (DM&E) technical advice, training and support to include a set of core indicators and minimum methodological requirements across new and re-designed grant-funded projects crossing the TPAs.
The role holder will be in charge to:
- Leading the strategy to build robust program evidence base across economic development programming;
- Supporting the strengthening of results measurement, research and evaluation quality across WVA’s economic development programs;
- Contributing to new economic development program acquisition activity;
- Guiding and implementing WVA’s strategy to strengthen evidence of impact at a meta level across the broader suite of WVA’s programs;
- Engaging in thought leadership and networking within economic development and results measurement communities of practice.
Who we are looking for…
This position requires a strategic and innovative thinking person who is flexible, shows strong initiative and has excellent quantitative, qualitative analysis and communication skills. In addition, the successful applicant will possess the following knowledge, experience and key capabilities:
- Tertiary qualification in economics, social science related to international development, evaluation or a related field.
- Experience in program evaluation methodologies (e.g. impact evaluation, pre-post designs, difference in difference, etc). Field-based evaluative research in the TPAs, preferably in economic development programming.
- Experience in conducting or commissioning meta-analysis or other statistical analysis or systematic reviews.
- Experience in policy influence, advocacy or research in related field.
- Demonstrated experience using rigorous quantitative methodologies to measure outcomes of community development projects in the TPAs, with experience in measuring economic development and nutrition outcomes an advantage.
- Demonstrated high-level understanding of a range of research and evaluation methodologies, preferably in an international development context and M&E framework design.
- Demonstrated skills in design, support of ongoing project monitoring systems and in managing evaluations.
- Stakeholder engagement and capacity to partner with academic organisations.
What you need to know
This role is a fixed term contract (from November 2019 to October 2020) operating in a full-time capacity and will be based at our head office in Burwood East, Victoria. This role will require international travel.
For your information, the role may be filled before the closing date.
Why you should apply
A career with World Vision is an opportunity to join a sector-leading humanitarian aid organisation. We believe that every staff member has been brought to World Vision for God’s purposes. Whether working from home, in an office, or with children and community members, we celebrate and embrace each staff member’s diverse background and talents – knowing that together, we can make a difference.
- Aside from the opportunity for broad and life-changing impact in the lives of the world’s most vulnerable, some of our other benefits include:
- Access to professional development programs that include on-the-job learning, e-learning, workshops, forums, leadership development and internal mobility.
- Policies that may accommodate flexible working and other working arrangements to tailor and encourage individual performance.
- An opportunity to shape an already market leading organisation to achieve even greater impact
- A highly engaged team culture that is dynamic, growing in agility and pace, and committed to serve beyond the call of duty.
- A culture that encourages truth telling with grace that confronts challenges and issues to clear teams for success in a timely fashion
- Access to salary packaging tax advantages.
Employer: World Vision
Work Type/s: Contract
Classification/s: International Aid & Development, Policy & Research, Advocacy & Campaigns, Project Management
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Job posted on: 07 August, 2019