Greater Creative Bendigo embraces cultural and creative industries as fundamental to our city’s liveability and to our future. Creativity, artistic practice and our cultural heritage are intrinsically valuable and integral to the health and wellbeing of our community, and affect how we experience life across our city and region. As well as their intangible importance, the creative industries form a significant – and growing – part of our economy, supporting and generating jobs and investment. The cultural and creative industries category in the Bendigo region makes up 13.3 per cent of all employment.
Some of the key areas in the strategy include:
- Activate public spaces in the city centre, suburban activity centre and rural communities
- Holding regular networking events, mentoring and grant opportunities
- Establishing a creative industries website and advisory group
- Elevating opportunities to promote the unique contribution our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and creatives make to the industry
- Submitting an application for the City of Greater Bendigo to be designated a UNESCO Creative City in the category of Gastronomy