The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) awards scholarships for master's and PhD candidates. Find out about the scholarships, how to apply, and previous winners.
Why you should apply: MPI’s Postgraduate Science Scholarships provide financial support for PhD and master’s candidates doing primary industry research.
Each scholarship is worth up to:
- $50,000 for PhD students
- $12,000 for master’s students.
Our winners also benefit from the support of an MPI mentor and professional development to grow their networks.
Applications for the 2020 scholarships are open between 14 October and 8 December 2019. Winners will be announced in February 2020.
These scholarships help MPI build capability for the primary industries, particularly where there are skills and science gaps.
New Zealand’s primary industries offer diverse and exciting career opportunities. You can help:
- feed the world
- build a sustainable future
- find solutions to some of the world’s most pressing problems like biosecurity risks, animal welfare, and climate change.
Find out more
Primary sector science roadmap – Te ao tūroa
Growing primary industry careers
How to apply
Complete this application form
Who is eligible?
- propose research that is relevant and meets a priority need for MPI or the primary industries. The application form shows specific areas
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- be enrolled or intending to enrol for a master’s or PhD at a New Zealand tertiary education institution
- have a supervisor who holds a position at a New Zealand tertiary education institution.
What previous scholarship winners say
“I applied for the MPI scholarship because I felt like it fit me as a person and my research. Of course, the financial aid was a big incentive too. From a personal point of view, I am a mature student going back to study and I had collaborated with MPI in the past and always enjoyed the work and the people.” – Irene Middleton.
“The scholarship has allowed me to spend more time on my research, providing peace of mind during my PhD. It has linked me to other passionate scientists and early career researchers throughout the primary industries.” – Edwardo Reynolds.
“Winning a $50,000 MPI post-graduate scholarship made a huge difference. It gave me options and meant I could do my PhD and start a family.” – Chris Nottingham.
Find out more about the 2018 scholarship winners
DATES FOR 2020 SCHOLARSHIPS
- 14 October 2019: Applications open.
- 8 December 2019: Applications close.
- February 2020: Winners announced.