This rapid review identified five common themes for policy makers to consider to support low carbon residential retrofits/renovations:
- Tailor policy to decision-makers dispositions and perspectives.
- Funding or subsidies should target up-front costs.
- No one-size fits all, so tailor for contextual factors.
- Implement earlier rather than later and also earlier in the building life-cycle.
- Take a comprehensive systems approach to policy design and implementation.
In addition, the review identified the need for more empirical analysis of energy outcomes from any implemented policy.