This document seeks your views on whether or not a Firearms Prohibition Order regime should be established in New Zealand, and if so, what it could look like. Your feedback will help to shape proposals for Government consideration, including whether or not a Firearms Prohibition Order regime should be introduced.
We encourage you to give your views on the questions set out at the end of this consultation document, once you have considered all of the options for the design of the regime. You can also provide any other comments you may have about the matters discussed. You do not have to answer all of the questions. If you wish to raise further issues not covered in this paper, please take the opportunity to do so.
The closing date for submissions is 13 January 2020. A submission form accompanies this consultation document.
The document is set out as follows:
- The Introduction provides the context for Firearms Prohibition Orders.
- Part One sets out the objectives of a Firearms Prohibition Order regime. It also looks at the impact on freedoms and rights under the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990, the impacts on Māori, and the impacts on youth offenders.
- Part Two sets out options for the criteria to determine who would qualify for Firearms Prohibition Orders, with specific considerations around conviction history and type, and whether gang membership should be part of that qualifying criteria.
- Part Three sets out options for conditions of a Firearms Prohibition Order – for instance, what activities would be prohibited through standard and specific conditions.
- Part Four sets out options for the application and decision-making process, including whether the decision to issue a Firearms Prohibition Order should be made by the Court or by the Commissioner of Police.
- Part Five sets out options for monitoring and enforcement powers, covering how compliance with the Firearms Prohibition Order would be monitored and enforced, and additional powers Police may need.
- The Consultation section sets out the process for consultation.
- The Appendix sets out the consultation questions. While the consultation questions are set out under each previous part, this Appendix provides a submission form for your use.