Prepared for the Independent Gambling Authority in South Australia, this report examines aspects of the relationship between gaming machine technology and problem gambling. It looks at:
• whether particular gaming machine games feature more commonly in the play of problem gamblers as compared to recreational gamblers;
• whether there are particular characteristics of those games that distinguish them from other games;
• whether those differences are the characteristics that attract problem gamblers and feature in problem gambling play;
• to what extent those characteristics affect the play of recreational gamblers; and
• to what extent those characteristics feature in a gamblers’ transition from recreational to problem gambler.