This agreement arises from a commitment from all Australian governments and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander representatives to a fundamentally new way of developing and implementing policies and programs that impact on the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- All Australian governments are now sharing decision-making with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people represented by their community-controlled peak organisations on Closing the Gap, the Coalition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peak Organisations (Coalition of Peaks).
- The views and expertise of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, including Elders, Traditional Owners and Native Title holders, communities and organisations will continue to provide central guidance to the Coalition of Peaks and Australian Governments throughout the life of this Agreement.
- An outcomes of this agreement includes to achieve a strong and sustainable Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community-controlled sector delivering high quality services to meet the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people across the country.
- Governments, their organisations and their institutions are accountable for Closing the Gap and are culturally safe and responsive to the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, including through the services they fund.
- By 2024, six new place-based partnerships will be established across Australia under Jurisdictional Implementation Plans. These place-based partnerships will be between the Commonwealth, relevant states or territories, local government and agreed communities. They will be consistent with the agreed partnership elements and build on existing place based approaches. Locations will be considered by Joint Council within 12 months of the commencement of this Agreement.
The parties agree to implement all activities under this agreement in a way that takes full account of, promotes, and does not diminish in any way, the cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. This commitment is part of the new way of working that parties have agreed to under this agreement. The parties agree to demonstrate this commitment through their Implementation Plans.