Discussion paper

Violence and abuse of people with disability in their homes is a key area of inquiry for the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability (the Royal Commission). Violence and abuse may happen in all types of homes and accommodation, including:

  • private and family homes
  • group homes, large residential centres and other forms of specialist accommodation
  • out-of-home care, including residential care, kinship and foster care and other arrangements such as independent living and hotels/motels
  • boarding and rooming houses and hostels
  • domestic and family violence shelters, homeless shelters and refuges

While the Royal Commission uses the term ‘home’ in this paper, the Commission recognises that people may live in temporary accommodation, may not choose where they live, may not be safe where they live or may experience homelessness.

The Commission welcomes any information about violence and abuse of people with disability where they live. They would like to hear about what puts people with disability at risk of violence and abuse in the places they live. They are interested in understanding if experiences may vary if a person is living in an urban, regional, remote and very remote area. They also invite examples of good practice on preventing and responding to violence and abuse in the home.

A list of questions is included at the end of this paper. The questions are a guide. You do not have to answer every question. More information about how to respond to this issues paper is at the end of the paper.


Publication Details
Easy Read:
License type:
Access Rights Type: