New analysis of 20 years of Australian Electoral Commission donation disclosures shows the resources industry is the largest donating industry to Australia’s political parties and campaigners. The research from the Centre for Public Integrity shows:
- The resources industry is the largest donating industry, making contributions 2.5 times greater than the property industry, the next biggest donor
- The resources industry made $136.7 million in political contributions from 1999-2019
- Many of the largest contributions came from companies who have policies against making political donations. These contributions were instead made to political campaigners who campaign and donate on their behalf.
- The Coalition received $15.18 million, more than three times the $4.88 million received by Labor
- Donations peaked in 2019 (Clive Palmer election) and 2016 (carbon tax election)