Australian demographic statistics, March 2012

Cities and towns Population Immigration Australia

This report shows migration statistics to Australia from the time period 2010 - 2012.
The net overseas migration estimate for the year ending 31 March 2012 was 197,200 people - 18 per cent higher than that for March 2011 (166,800 people), when net overseas migration reached a four year low. Australia's population increased by 331,200 people to reach 22.6 million people with a growth rate of 1.5 per cent.
Net overseas migration accounted for 57 per cent of growth, with the remaining 43 per cent due to natural increase (births minus deaths). There were 295,400 births registered in the year ending March 2012, 1.2 per cent more than the previous year. The number of deaths registered over the same period was 145,800, 0.5 per cent less than the previous year. Western Australia continues to have the fastest growing population in the country, increasing by 3.1 per cent (73,300 people).

Publication Details