This report examines how older people (aged 65 and over) access the internet, including:
- the types of devices they use
- what online activities they commonly engage in
- what they use to stay connected
- how they consume entertainment online
- the potential impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on their online habits
- their attitudes towards the growing influence of technology in their lives.
The findings show that older people have undergone a significant shift in their digital habits. Compared to previous years, they are engaging in a broader range of online activities, more frequently and across different devices.
However, despite an increase in activities online, the attitudes of older people towards technology may not have shifted significantly. This suggests that their increased use of technology may have been out of necessity, rather than choice, as the digital environment continues to change.