This interim report informs the Senate about claims of public interest immunity received by the Senate Select Committee on COVID-19 in the course of its examination of the Australian government's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This report discusses the following claims received by the committee:
- a claim made by the Hon Christian Porter MP, Attorney-General;
- two claims made on behalf of the Minister for Health by Senator the Hon Michaelia Cash, then Minister representing the Minister for Health in the Senate;
- two claims made on behalf of the Treasurer; one by former Senator the Hon Mathias Cormann and one by Senator the Hon Simon Birmingham;
- a claim made by Senator the Hon Richard Colbeck, then Minister for Aged Care and Senior Australians;1 and
- a claim made by Senator the Hon Anne Ruston, Minister for Families and Social Services.
The committee has resolved not to accept these claims on the grounds provided. Correspondence relating to each claim is available in the appendices of this report.