This report on the barriers people with disability face when seeking a safe, accessible, affordable and secure home concludes that people with disability in Western Australia have poorer experiences and outcomes when accessing a home than the general population and struggle to find suitable homes in the community of their choice.
The report makes a series of recommendations to improve these experiences and widen housing options for people with disability.
The report’s recommendations call for:
- A service to provide information, advice and assistance on housing options in WA directly to people with disability and their families;
- Further State Government investment in social housing for people with disabilities;
- The development of a needs-based housing register;
- Simplification of processes around housing support within the NDIS; and
- The inclusion of mandatory accessibility requirements in the National Construction Code for all residential buildings.