This discussion paper outlines offending and justice issues in Western Australia, and recommends a policy shift to 'justice reinvestment', an approach that aims to address the risk factors of crime, crime prevention, and adequate rehabilitation of offenders.
This report provides details on:
- current levels of offending in WA and the economic costs associated with these levels
- the health and social determinants of offending
- the role of the community sector
- barriers to the adoption of a 'justice reinvestment' approach in WA
- the 'delivering community services in partnership' policy in WA
The Western Australian Council of Social Service (WACOSS), the Western Australian Association for Mental Health (WAAMH), the Western Australian Network of Alcohol and other Drug Agencies (WANADA).