This guide provides tips for Australians to reduce their risk of becoming a victim of identity theft.
- Secure your mailbox with a lock and, when you move, redirect your mail.
- Be cautious about using social media, and limit the amount of personal information you publish online.
- Secure your computer and mobile phone with security software and strong passwords, and avoid using public computers for sensitive activities.
- Secure your personal documents at home and when travelling.
- Be cautious about requests for your personal information over the internet or phone and in person in case it is a scam.
- Investigate the arrival of new credit cards you haven’t requested or bills for goods and services you have not purchased.
- Be alert for any unusual bank transactions or missing mail.
- If you are a victim of identity theft, report it to the police and any relevant organisations.
- Order a free copy of your credit report from a credit reporting agency on a regular basis, particularly if your identity has been stolen.