The Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) is the national regulator of charities in Australia.
Since 3 December 2012, charities wanting to access Commonwealth charity tax concessions (and other benefits), need to register with the ACNC. Although many charities choose to register, registration with the ACNC is voluntary.
The ACNC maintains a register (known as the Charity Register), which contains information about registered charities.
For researchers and others interested in using the Charity Register data to look at multiple charities, or for data analysis, the dataset published on this data.gov.au page is the most effective way to download the information. The information included in the downloadable dataset is:
- Legal name
- Other names (such as trading names)
- Australian Business Number (ABN)
- Contact details
- Date established
- Who the charity helps (beneficiaries)
- Size of the charity (small, medium or large)
- Financial year end
- States, territories or countries where the charity operates
- Charitable purpose(s)
- When the charity was registered with the ACNC
See the Related Content below to explore this registered charities dataset from the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission.