The insights in this document were produced as part of a project to design a social marketing programme that would support people with long term conditions to positively manage their health. The project was led by innovate change for Counties Manukau Health and East Health Trust.
The first version of this document, Insights on Long Term Conditions in Counties Manukau, summarised existing knowledge about long term conditions, population health, self-management, social marketing and behaviour change. This final document brings together those insights with key findings from field research with people with long term conditions in Counties Manukau (South Auckland).
summary of insights
1. Long term conditions are a major cause of death and disease in Counties Manukau
2. Long term conditions are increasing and are felt most by Māori, Pacific and older people
3. People often experience multiple conditions and mental health challenges
4. The impacts of long term conditions are felt by individuals, whānau and the wider community
5. There are lots of things individuals can do to manage their health
6. Taking control and changing health behaviours can be challenging
7. Family or whānau support inspires and motivates people with long term conditions
8. Focus on people’s strengths, not what they are doing ‘wrong’