Under the Marriage Act 1961, a Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrant must:

  • complete Certificate IV in Celebrancy 
  • be assessed as a fit and proper person, and 
  • pay an application fee and ongoing annual fees
  • ministers of religion authorised to solemnise marriages are not subject to these standards and obligations

Ministers of religion wishing to solemnise marriages must register as marriage celebrants and be subject to the same standards and obligations as marriage celebrants.

Publication Details
Access Rights Type: