The Australian Greens believe that:
- All citizens have the right and the responsibility to participate in and to equally access the processes of government.
- An egalitarian democracy requires that all people are treated equally.
- The Constitution must recognise the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as Australia's first peoples and their rights as owners, and their enduring connections between lands, water and culture of Australia, and acknowledge the past injustices that have been done since European occupation.
- The Constitution should express our aspirations as a community and define our rights and responsibilities as individuals and as members of the community.
- Parliament is the central authority of representative and responsible government.
- The composition of Parliament should reflect the diversity of opinion within society.
- Government decisions should, where appropriate, be made by the level of government that is closest to the people affected.
- Australia should become a republic with an Australian head of state.