The Australian Greens believe that:
- Care for children is the responsibility of society as a whole. The quality of care received by babies and children produces flow-on effects for the whole of their lives and the community.
- The needs of Australian families are diverse. All children should be able to access high-quality childcare and early childhood educational experiences.
- Positive, interactive learning, educational and socialisation opportunities offered by childcare can benefit children and the community by assisting a smooth transition to formal education.
- Investment in early childhood education reduces costs associated with poor school attendance and social disengagement in later years.
- All carers of children should have the opportunity to re-enter or maintain their engagement in the workforce.
- Childcare should be a not-for-profit service.
- People working in the childcare sector should be fairly remunerated for the work they do.
- Families should have diversity in their choice of childcare alternatives within easy access, including via public transport, of the home and workplace.