Marshall McGuire takes the artistic pulse of the Australian orchestral sector by reflecting on five keystones of what can make this art vibrant.
Marshall recommends the following in his paper.
- Classical music needs to increase its profile in the national discussion about arts and culture. Beginning with a discussion within the sectors, and an annual roundtable conference of all interested stakeholders.
- New music and new performance platforms for presenting concerts should be a priority for orchestras.
- Active engagement of new and young audiences must be prioritised.
- Career development for musicians needs greater attention and engagement.
- New engagement with non-Western regions should be explored, to refresh the artform and connect with Australia’s diverse community.
It’s imperative for the orchestras’ future relevance and vitality that we, as a sector, talk about these issues and opportunities. We can lay the foundation now for a classical music sector that has a vital, respected and exciting role in Australia’s future artistic and community life.
Image: alliance1911 / flickr