Women and girls in Western Australia deserve to live and work safely in a community where diversity is embraced and where access to rights, resources, opportunities and protections is not determined by gender.
An extensive consultation process was undertaken for this plan and a wide range of people from all age groups, diverse backgrounds, different abilities and diverse sexual identities across Western Australia provided their thoughts and ideas. The issues raised by Western Australians during these discussions made it clear that things need to change.
The plan to achieve this vision will be guided by the following principles:
- Everyone has the right to fully participate and succeed in the community.
- Achieving gender equality is everyone’s responsibility.
- We will take a lifespan approach to achieving gender equality.
- Equality will be achieved through equitable practices and access.
- We will work together to achieve equality.
- Gender inequality impacts some women more than others.
- Action is based on knowledge, evidence from research and community voices.