The ABCD National Research Partnership works across states and territories in Australia to improve the quality of primary health care available to Indigenous people. Using participatory action research approaches, The partnership aims to:
- investigate the variation in quality of care in Indigenous primary health care (PHC) centres
- explore the underlying factors associated with variation at the health centre and regional level
- identify and examine specific strategies that have been effective in improving primary care clinical performance
- work with health service staff, management and policy makers to enhance the effective implementation of successful strategies.
The ABCD project originated in 2002 in the Northern Territory with the ABCDE project continuing this work from 2005-2009. By the end of 2009 over 140 health centres around Australia were using ABCD tools and processes to improve their quality of care.
The projects provided support for the development and use of audit tools and processes and a web-based database and reporting system for Primary Health Care centres around Australia. Following requests from users for continued use of the tools and processes, One21Seventy, the National Centre for Quality Improvement in Indigenous Health was established in November 2009. This organisation, based in Menzies, provides tools and processes, including training, to support primary health care providers to carry out Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) using clinical audits, systems assessment, web-based data analysis and reporting to inform goal setting and action planning.
The Partnership works alongside One21Seventy to continue to develop the evidence-base available to One21Seventy and to answer key questions relevant to quality improvement in the sector. The Partnership accesses data collected in routine CQI activities from services that have consented to participate with the Partnership for research.
This document includes:
- Partnering to Improve Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Primary Health Care: ABCD National Research Partnership Project
- Quality of Primary Health Care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People in Australia: Key Research Findings and Messages for Action from the ABCD National Research Partnership Project