This action plan sets out an overarching framework for communities, Maori, Iwi, providers and government agencies to continue to work together to prevent and reduce homelessness. The framework consists of the vision, guiding principles, actions areas, outcomes and actions.
The actions in this first phase focus on:
- Providing additional support for individuals, families and whanau at risk of homelessness and currently experiencing homelessness
- Reducing the use of motels as emergency accommodation by urgently putting in place a new supply and continuing to build more public houses
- Partnering with, supporting and empowering Maori, Iwi and local communities in responding to local needs
- Setting up an ongoing process to include the voices of individuals, families and whanau with lived experience of homelessness in the development, design and delivery of changes
- Putting in place a framework for reviewing, monitoring and evaluating the changes made and enhancing data on homelessness.